Rocky Hill Connecticut 06067
Rocky Hill CT Town Travel Business Information
The town of Rocky Hill was first settled in 1650 as part of Wethersfield and became Stepney Parish in 1722, when residents of the southern end of town were granted permission for a church of their own and 60 acres of land were set aside. In 1843, it attained separate town status as Rocky Hill, so named for a ridge that rises in the northeast section. This area is now Rocky Hill Quarry Park, acquired under the Connecticut Recreation and Natural Heritage Trust Program.
The Connecticut River has always figured prominently in Rocky Hill’s history. Floods occurring about 1700 changed its course and hindered travel upstream so that Rocky Hill became the head of navigation for large vessels. Ferry Park area was a busy shipyard and the chief port of the region. Trade was extensive with the West Indies and privateers sailed from Stepney during the Revolutionary War. Many old-time sea captains’ houses are still standing.
The Great Meadows along the Connecticut River have been farmed since the 17th century. In its early history, American Indians hunted, fished, and made pottery in this vast area. Agriculture and farming have been major occupations in town since its beginning. In the 1930s, the State Veterans Home and Hospital was built on West Street, and the town is now an active commercial and business center, although largely still residential.
To share any Rocky Hill, CT information with us, please contact us.
Rocky Hill Connecticut Town Guide
Rocky Hill, CT Population:
Rocky Hill CT Local Information
Rocky Hill Police Dispatch: 860-258-7640
Rocky Hill Fire Department: 860-258-7603
Ambulance Service: 860-258-7613
Town Hall Telephone: 860-258-2705
Shop 24/7 at FREE WORLD MALL
Connecticut Town & City Guides by Region