Madison Connecticut 06443
Madison CT Town Travel Business Information
The Town of Madison Connecticut was first settled in 1641 as part of Guilford. It was organized as a separate community in 1707 and incorporated in 1826. Madison was the one hundred twenty-eighth town established in Connecticut.
Madison encompasses approximately 36.3 square miles within New Haven County, approximately 15 miles east of New Haven and 35 miles south of Hartford. Interstate 95 and state highways 80 and 1 (Boston Post Road) intersect the Town for east and west transportation access, while state highway 79 provides north-south access. Today Madison is bounded on the east by Clinton; on the north by Durham; on the south by Long Island Sound; and on the west by Guilford. The Town is primarily a suburban, residential community with single-family homes.
Since the 1860’s Madison has maintained a large summer resident community attracted to the Town’s beaches and Long Island Sound. Most year-round Madison residents are in the executive, professional, technical, and managerial categories, with employment in Hartford, New Haven, Fairfield County and New York.
The 1990 U. S. Census figure was published at 15,485 persons. Bus, air and rail service are available from the New Haven, Hartford, Providence, Rhode Island and New York area facilities. The Town has a railroad stop near the central business district provided by Shore Line East, a State of Connecticut Department of Transportation Commuter Railroad that provides commuter service between New London and New Haven during rush hours. Other Metro-North and Amtrak connections are available from the New Haven Union Station.
Madison CT Local Information
New England Towns